As part of Winter Weather Awareness Week, the Colorado Department of Transportation is reminding motorists of the numerous free resources it provides for obtaining traffic, road condition, and highway information. The department urges motorists to use these resources before traveling to know the most current information what to expect on the road.
Remember this winter when there is “Ice and Snow, Take it Slow!” Road condition resources include:
• www.cotrip.org: Information about real-time road conditions, highway closures, average speeds, photos, live cameras streaming traffic, trucking information, and more.
• 5-1-1: From anywhere in the state, motorists can call 5-1-1 toll free to listen to recorded information about road conditions, projected trip travel times, trucker information.
• Free email/text alerts available at www.coloradodot.info: Click on the green cell phone icon in the upper right hand corner of the page and choose from a list of subscription options. Selections can be changed at any time. Standard text messaging rates apply.
• CDOT Mobile App: Available on Droids and iPhones, text “CDOT” to 25827 or download “CDOT Mobile” from your App Store. This resource is limited at this time to information about I-70 but more highways will be added.
• Twitter: Follow @coloradodot for traveler information and other transportation news, ask questions, read other people's question and give us feedback.
• Facebook: “Like” CDOT at www.facebook.com/coloradodot. Major updates regarding traveler information, answers to questions, photos, driving tips etc., are posted regularly.
• Winter Driving Website: Visit www.coloradodot.info/travel/winter-driving to get information about what to keep in your vehicle during the winter, how to safely pass a snow plow, commercial vehicle requirements, seasonal closures, snow removal, avalanche control, and so forth.
Use the resources listed before getting behind the wheel or safely pull off the road to avoid distracted driving.